King John’s Castle, situated on ‘King’s Island’ in the heart of medieval Limerick City, overlooks the Shannon river. Built between 1200 and 1210, the castle has since been repaired and now offers a stunning new exhibition bringing alive 800 years of dramatic local history attracting visitors of all ages wowed by the unique experience the castle offers.
From exploring the castle walls re-imaging what the life of a Norman soldier in the medieval fortress was like, to understanding the life of King John the castle creates a unique visitors experience through the use of a wide range of new technologies and specialist multi-media technologies.
Gigs at King John’s Castle
For a fantastic and unique night out why not go to a gig in the Castle. This setting provides a once in a lifetime, open air gig that you wont forget with great views if medieval Limerick, the River Shannon, Castle and Limerick City.
Interesting facts about King John’s Castle:
- The brother of Richard referred to as the great Lionheart often associated to legends such as Robin Hood and the Knights’ of the Round Table, John never got the recognition nor the popularity that his brother got, but made his mark in Limerick when claiming territory in Ireland.
- John’s Castle isn’t just a castle, but evidence of how the Viking settlement and defensive systems changed the entire landscape of Irish history. King John’s Castle retains many of the pioneering features, making it truly unique. Its massive gate house, battlements and corner towers await your exploration whilst the armory and its content remain even after its turbulent history.
- 800 years of local history brought to life through the use of technologies
- Genuine restored 13th Century Castle
- Interpretative Centre with historical exhibition
- A panoramic view of beautiful Limerick City
Open Year Round:
- April – September: Daily 09:30 – 17:30
- October – March: Daily 09:30 – 16:30
- Closed: December 24 to 26
Last admission: One hour before closing time
Approx. visit duration: 1 hour minimum
- Adult: €10.00
- Child (6-16): €5.25
- Child (aged 0-5): Free
- Family (2 adults & 2 children): €22.00
- Family (2 adults & up to 6 children): €25.00
- Georgian House & Garden
Book your stay today at Clayton Hotel Limerick